Caption: Two full disk images taken by the X-Ray Telescope aboard Hinode are taken one solar rotation apart. In the center of the left hand image are NOAA active regions 10931 and 10932. A rotation later the active regions have disappeared, but their effect is still noticeable in the long quiet sun loops. Yohkoh experts can comment on whether this was commonly seen by SXT. This type of evolution was seen in Skylab, though not this clearly (1982; ApJ 266, 359-365).
Exploring the Active Sun
Royal Sonesta Hotel & Hotel Marlowe in Cambrdige, Massachusetts, USA
Royal Sonesta Hotel - Room Reservations
- Rate: $229/night for single or double occupancy
- There are only a few rooms available on Friday night (October 14) and none available on Saturday night (October 15). Please contact the Hotel Marlowe (below) for rooms near the government rate on those nights.
- Contact the Sonesta at 617.806.4200 or email
- To obtain the Conference Rate, identify yourself as part of the
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory - XRT Science Meeting
- Housing Deadline: July 11, 2011
Other close hotels
- Hotel Marlowe, Cambridge MA
Across the street from the conference hotel.
Rooms available on October 14/15 @ $269/night
Please email email@example.com to obtain reservations at the reduced rate at the Hotel Marlowe
- Boston Marriott Cambridge
2 Cambridge Center
Cambridge, MA 02142
- HOTEL MARLOWE
25 Edwin H. Land Blvd.
Cambridge, MA 02141
Reservations: (800) 825-7140
- Hampton Inn Boston/Cambridge
191 Monsignor O'Brien Highway,
Cambridge, MA ,02141
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Cambridge, Massachusetts (MA)
250 Monsignor O'Brien Hwy,
Cambridge, MA 02141
There is also a list of hotels in Cambridge at the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory Travel and Special Events.
All of the hotels listed at the SAO site (except ones mentioned above) will entail a bus, taxi or subway ride to the conference site.
To reach the Royal Sonesta from the airport by subway, take the MBTA Blue Line
shuttle bus from the terminal to the Blue Line Station. Then take the
Blue Line in the direction of Bowdoin (inbound). Get off at
Government Center, and transfer to the Green Line. Take the Green
Line towards Lechmere Station (outbound). The hotel is closest to the
Lechmere stop at the end of the line. NOTE: there is construction on
the Green Line, and there may be shuttle busses between North Station
and Lechmere. Green
Line construction updates.
A map of the subway system is here.
A map showing the Royal Sonesta (marked with an "A") and the Lechmere
Green Line Station (marked with an "M" north and west of the hotel):
View Larger Map